Monday, March 24, 2014

The "Olt" of Lightening They Need

7 days. 7 days from today I return to a magical world that is second to none: Baseball season. With the sounds of post-fantasy draft discussions and the stress of final spring cuts upon us, I need to get something off of my chest that has been weighing on me all spring: Mike Olt should be the Cubs' Opening Day third baseman.

If you have read my tweets during the spring, this is not a shocking revelation. My love fest for Olt started this offseason. I have drooled over the metrics of a 2012 untouchable from the Rangers. I have day dreamed about the protection he can provide to a maturing Rizzo. Mumblings of being a "competitive" team have creeped into my conversations. But all Roses have thorns. And all fans have Rose-colored glasses.

Olt is 25 years old and in a different conversation than "The Core." He has seen success in Triple A. He has seen (or not seen...because of last year's eye issues) struggles in Triple A. He has experienced all that needs to be experienced on the internal Theo/Hoyer Report Card. 

Back in July 2012, when the Cubs were in the middle of a losing season, Theo was taking calls about the price for Ryan Dempster. When the Rangers came calling, Olt was UNTOUCHABLE. Olt hit 28Hrs in 354 ABs with a solid .579 Slugging. The Cubs have seen a glimpse of that potential this Spring. Olt has been Solid with a .273 average with 5Hrs in 44 ABs. 

Let's be honest here. The Cubs will struggle to compete this season. As I have stated in many blogs, the future is bright. But the time is now for Olt. I see the argument to use Valbuena given his spring performance (.294, 6Hrs), but Olt is a whole different level. Olt is a .280, 25-30HR guy that solidifies a lineup that is starving for a solid 4. He looks rusty at 3B, but countless scouts believe he will be an above average fielder. Bring the kid up, have him solidify an order that is begging for production. Let's lock up the revolving door 3B has become Post-Aramis. Given the Cubs immediate situaton, what is the worst that can happen? He may be just the "Olt" this team needs...

-CC

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would an Ohtani trade to the Cubs look like?

  The trade deadline is coming and it is one of my favorite times of year, regardless of the Cubs standing. Every year, a big name or two li...