Tuesday, May 10, 2016

State of the Cubbies - 5.10.16

I have been a Cubs fan my whole life (26 years and some change). I grew up during an era of the team in which I have seen more playoff births then most groups of die hards, but the learning curve of heartbreak was much quicker. '98, '03, '07,'08, and '15. Considering a ball club that has only seen 17 total playoff appearances in THEIR ENTIRE EXISTANCE, I should consider myself spoiled. 

I was in college for the Lou Pinella era. These two seasons were the height of my Cub delirium. I believed in curses, goats, Bartmans, etc. I took those playoff drubbings pretty hard. I started to feel hopeless. 

Then the ray of light that is the Theo Epstein era. Theo changed the way I looked at success and sustainability. While the Cardinals implored a model of player development and in-house solutions during the 2000's, I blindly was frustrated by the lack of "big splash' signings that were involving the North Siders. I had believed what the old regime wanted me to beleive: Success can be bought. 

I watched the Epstein era teams (pre-playoffs) with a new intensity. I was constantly looking for lightening in the bottle players to bring back exciting prospects to expedite the organizational growth that Theo/Jed sold like a beautiful dream. 

Last year was fun. I love the mantra that it was "a year early" since they came out of no where. The talent was there (or coming), but would they put it together?

Expectations could not be higher for this season. Everyone and their mother (Happy Mother's day to all the moms, btw) has picked this team to be a World Series contender. I have aged with the team and have found bliss in the "Try not to Suck" idea. 

Then they started like this. 24-6. Best start since 1907 (I believe a Chicago team won the World Series that year...). The hype train has turned into the hype bullet train. 

Starting Pitching - Lester, Hammel, Arrieta have 3 of the top 5 era's in the game. They are on a staff that has yet to have a starter to throw less than 5 innings this season. Jake has 1 no-hitter, and his command is not even close to what it was last year just yet. (Jake's walk rate per 9 is at 3, compared to 1.9 last season).

Offense - ON BASE. ON BASE. ON BASE. If you look up and down this line up, there are 1 or 2 batting averages that jump out as solid (Rizzo had a slow start due to lousy BABIP, Heyward has been hampered with a wrist injury). However, this team continues to take its walks. Hits can come in go in a game where failure happens to the greats 70% of the time, but approach stays constant. The drop in strike out rate so far in Russell and Bryant has been unreal. The Cubs were last in the majors last year, improving to a shocking degree. 

It is exciting to be on the North Side this year. Stay calm and enjoy the ride. As Joe Maddon would say "It's a beautiful thing, man."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would an Ohtani trade to the Cubs look like?

  The trade deadline is coming and it is one of my favorite times of year, regardless of the Cubs standing. Every year, a big name or two li...