Monday, July 10, 2023

Play Ball Park - All Star Game Trip - Part 1

 We have made it to the All Star break! The Cubs stand at 42-47, ending the first half on a high note. Nice to see Gas Money come off the bench and drive in some runs. 

In 2021, my buddy and I attended the All-Star Game festivities in Colorado, centered around attending the Home Run Derby. Some of it had to do with baseball, other of it had to do with working on getting me to leave my house (If you haven't forgotten, we had a global pandemic). That Home Run Derby was amazing, with a battle between Ohtani and Soto that ended in a swing-off in the first round. In addition, just another dominate derby performance from Pete Alonso:


A tradition was born. We couldn't quite swing the prices for LA, but we are back here in Seattle. Here are the 3 coolest things I saw yesterday attending Play Ball Park at Lumen Field:

1.) Player's Alliance Booth

I randomly stopped at the Player's Alliance booth to check out their display, and started a conversation with the gentlemen there. He noticed my Cubs jersey and told me he wanted to show me a picture: It was him standing on Opening Day in 2003 next to Sammy Sosa. In fact, this gentlemen was Trenidad Hubbard.  He had a brief Cub career, but had nothing but amazing things to say about Sammy. He also gave me a good look at his 2007 NL Pennant ring from his time in the Rockies organization. 

2.) MLB Draft

The highlight of the first "full" day in Seattle was to be the draft. It was fun to be a part of the environment, especially partaking in the boos of Mr. Manfred. The crowd was pretty invested in each of the picks, but they still have a LONG way to go to rival the other major sports drafts. First of all, none of the top picks attend the draft in person. It wasn't until the 9th pick in which a player was actually in the building. Second, there is some lack of drama with picks being stagnant. Their needs to be a serious consideration to adding the ability to trade draft picks in the next CBA. Trade up possibilities and shifts make watching the NFL/NBA drafts so exciting. I realize baseball picks aren't franchise altering like in the other leagues, but the potential to move these picks could create some of that hype. 

An added bonus to the night was MLB the Show having the players not only added to their popular "team building PTW" Diamond Dynasty mode, but also added them to the live roster for franchise use. I will surely download that roster when I get back to Chicago to try out the Cubs pick. 



3.) Stuff

I am a baseball nerd and the merch/stuff game is strong at these things. Name your price range, and their are things for you. Custom team Rawlings Gloves. Authentic Memorabilia up for auction, including items from the Cubs/Yankees World Series in 1932. If money was not an issue, I would spend so much at these things. Alas, money does not grow on trees, and my mancave doesn't have space for priceless baseball cards. However, nerdy window shopping is always free. 


Up next: the Home Run Derby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would an Ohtani trade to the Cubs look like?

  The trade deadline is coming and it is one of my favorite times of year, regardless of the Cubs standing. Every year, a big name or two li...