Friday, February 14, 2014

Excitement is building...

Yesterday was a National holiday for all of us baseball fans: Pitchers and Catchers reported. I have always felt that this time of year was the true beginning of spring. My mind begins to fill with the many hopes and dreams for the season, while trying hard to balance dreams with reality. 

After a LONNNNNNGGGGGG winter in Chicago, I am ready to fix my mind on anything that is not snow. With my mind focused on baseball season, what am I thinking about?

1.) Starlin Castro - Last year was not ideal for one of the cornerstones. Statistically, there was a significant drop in what we had come to expect from our All-Star shortstop. My take always from the end of the year last year was his defense was improving (compared to a horrendous start) and he was beginning to look more comfortable at the plate. This season for me is make or break for Castro. I would like to believe that he will be motivated with the new Regime and will perform significantly better than last year...I hope.

2.) The Four - When I look at this year's lineup, my biggest concern is the 4th spot in the lineup. I have full confidence in Rizzo in the 3, but who will protect him in the 4th spot. I see this part of the lineup going a few ways. I am looking for Mike Olt to be a surprise pick-up. As many Cub fans know, Mike Olt was the bell of the Ranger's ball when the Cubs came knocking with Dempster. After a season of some vision issues, the Rangers were humming a different tube when the Cubs had Garza to offer. Olt has plus power and could be the bat we need in the lineup to solidify the lineup. That is, if he wins the starting job. The other person I see in this spot would be Baez. If the kid has a torrid spring, I think there is a fair argument that he should get a shot at the big club.

As the pitchers stretch their arms out, I'm stretching my heart out for the pain expected of watching this team struggle for 70 wins. Their are exciting things coming, they just are not here yet. That being said, I look forward for the return of my North side heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would an Ohtani trade to the Cubs look like?

  The trade deadline is coming and it is one of my favorite times of year, regardless of the Cubs standing. Every year, a big name or two li...